1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups oatmeal
4 tbsp wheat germ (and/or ground flax seeds)
1/2 cup ground pecans (and/or whatever nuts you prefer)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (scant)
2/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
chocolate chipits (optional and quantity to your taste)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl and blend in egg and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to center of dry mixture and fold together until well blended.
- Place tablespoon-sized balls of batter on a greased (or tinfoiled) pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 12-14 minutes until golden brown around edges.
- Loosen from pan while still warm.
- Store covered.
Bracketed suggestions are my current reality. I don’t find it easy to get wheat germ in Mexico, but I can always find whole flax seeds. I prefer using pecans, but will substitute scant quantities of these with almonds, my other nut of choice. I push the limits on chocolate chipits (around 2/3 cup), but I have also used butterscotch and/or white chocolate chipits, as well as dried cranberries and raisins. These cookies never last long!